Top 10 Wood Planers
Let’s get right to our reviews! We were surprised at the variety we found. (No Grizzly planers here!) If you’re in a hurry, check out our top and budgets picks. They’re right at the top so they’re easy to find. Then, keep reading for the great products that round out our list. Our research has shown these are the best of the best, so let’s get to it!
1. DeWalt 2-Speed Planer
If you need a good industrial wood planer, the DeWalt 2-Speed Planer is the best electric wood planer we found. It has 3 knives which ends up giving them 30% longer life. But don’t worry, blade changes are easy when the time comes. As for speed, you can choose cuts per inch (CPI) of 96 or 179. Plus, it gives up to 10,000 rpms. That’s a lot of power to easily tackle wider materials. This one has a fan-assisted ejection vacuum to remove the chips from the machine and keep things somewhat clean. That’s not all. It has an automatic carriage lock that reduces movement to keep everything nice and smooth without you having to do a thing. You even get some nice accessories, too. This package comes with an infeed table, outfeed table, and an extra set of knives.
- Purchase includes one stationary 13" Planer, in/out feed tables with fasteners (attached to the base of the Planer base), extra blades and dust hose adapter. Stand is not included.
- Three knife cutter head of the thickness planer delivers 30% longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier
- Two-speed gear box of the wood planer allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI …
2. WEN Electric Hand Planer
Here it is, the best planer for the money. This is a hand wood planer that’s perfect for small jobs around the house. Even out boards, smooth joists, shave down an old door so it closes easily again. You can really fine tune this planer. How? There are 16 adjustable stops to change the cutting depth from 0 to ? inch in 1/128 inch increments. The shoe plate has a v-shaped groove to flatten corners, too. And to make sure you don’t accidentally come in contact when you’re resting, there’s a handy kickstand. There’s good dust control here, too. You can switch the sawdust direction from side to side depending on whether you use your right or left hand. Plus, you get a dust collection bag, too.
- 6-amp motor provides up to 34,000 cuts per minute
- 16 positive stops adjust the cutting depth anywhere from 0 to 1/8 inches
- Make rabbets up to 7/10 inch in size with the included rabbeting guide
- Lightweight design weighs in at a mere 6 pounds. Motor:120 V, 60 Hz
- Includes power planer, dust bag, a kickstand, a parallel fence bracket and a 2-year warranty …
3. DeWalt DW68OK
If you’re looking for the best wood planer for serious woodworking, the DeWalt DW680K makes a great addition to your workshop. First off, it’s compatible with reversible carbide blades that can be sharpened. What does that mean for you? They can be reused which just might save you a little bit of money. They’re also really accurate and great for woodworking that requires some finer details. The shoe is made to give you the best results. It has 3 precise guides in the front that generate 3 different beveling channels. Plus, it produces rabbet joints that are close to perfect. Depth and height adjustment are easy. What makes us say that? The Calibrated Depth Adjustment Knob makes sure different positions are fine-tuned for accuracy so all you have to do is simply turn the knob. The DeWalt includes reversible carbide blades, a carrying case, and a rabbeting fence.
- Heavy-duty 7.0 amp motor of the electric hand planner provides a smooth, even finish in the hardest of woods
- 3/32-inch (2.5mm) maximum cut in one pass reduces the amount of passes on your material with this hand planer
- Accepts large resharpenable high-speed steel blades for straight edging or framing applications …
4. Porter Cable Hand Planer
One of the things that Porter Cable is trying to do with this wood planer machine is to improve dust collection. Let’s face it, planers can make quite a mess and any attempt to clean it up a bit is a good move. The made this one with dual side extraction and even provide the dust bag. It has 2 blades and can go about 1/16 inch in each pass. Plus, you can easily adjust the depth with 11 different stops. That’s a lot of precision, which is why we recommend this tool for finer work. That’s not all, it also works with high-speed steel or carbide blades. High-speed steel blades are for tough jobs when you might encounter the occasional nail while carbide blades are best for finishing jobs.
- Heavy-duty 6 amp motor of the electric hand planner provides smooth cutting in hard materials
- The hand planer has 16,500 rpm for smooth material removal
- Dual side dust extraction allows for extraction on either side of the tool
- Overmold depth knob with 10 positive steps allows for better planer control and multiple depth control settings …
5. Makita Planer
This Makita hand planer delivers a little more power than other planers of its size. That makes it great for professional level construction. That said, it’s also a great choice for fine woodworking. You can really precise results with the depth adjustment. Get this: it stops in 0.1mm increments. It also includes a set of double edge carbide blades, too, so you can get started with it right out of the box. Even though it’s really powerful, it still manages to be pretty lightweight. That’s not all. It’s designed for comfort with the ergonomically designed, rubberized handles. To protect the moving parts of the tool, there’s a handy spring-loaded stand to keep it off the surface when not in use.
- Planes up to 3-1/4" Wide and 5/32" Deep in a single pass
- Two-blade cutter head with 16, 000 RPM delivers smooth finish and fast stock removal
- Chip ejection can be directed to either side of the tool for convenience
- Depth adjust knob features an easy-to-read scale with click stops in 0.1mm increments for precise depth adjustment …
6. Bosch PL2632K
The Bosch PL2632K has a lot of features that make it one of the best portable planers around. For starters, aluminum front and rear shoes are machined together to help with accuracy. It also has a machine groove for chamfering. And get this: it comes equipped with reversible micrograin carbide blades. A dual-mount guide fence can be mounted on either side of the tool, making it a little friendlier for left-handed users. That’s not the only lefty friendly feature. There’s an ambidextrous lock-off release to prevent accidental starts. The spring-loaded stand comes in really handy because it elevates the planer during times of rest so as not to damage the blade. One more thing: this best portable planer has a lock-on button, too.
- Power: the Bosch PL2632K Jointer Planer features a 6. 5 amp Planer and 16, 500 RPM speed for fast stock removal and smooth finish in soft and hard wood. Weighing only 6. 3 lbs. , This wood Planer provides power and efficiency in a lightweight tool
- Convenient: our electric Planer is the first-ever power tool to have ambidextrous lock-off release button to help avoid accidental starts Plus a lock-on button for extended operation …
7. Makita 1806B
This is one of the best thickness planers we found. It planes 1/16 inch in a single pass. The aluminum base keeps your work accurate while the front and back grips give you better control. The grips also make it comfortable to use, especially the comfortable rubber handle. Depth adjustment is controlled by the front grip so it’s really easy to access. This is a powerful tool! 10.9 amps powers the 2-blade cutter head 15,000 RPMs. It even comes equipped with high-speed steel planer blades for fast and accurate work. That’s not all. If you have a big job that’s going to take you a long time, you’ll appreciate the lock-on button. It keeps the engine running and the blade turning without having to pull the trigger.
- Powerful 10.9 AMP motor with 15,000 RPM for improved performance
- Cuts 6-3/4" width in a single pass
- Comfortable handle and easy depth setting
- Large, sturdy sole plate for added stability
- Perfect alignment of front and back grips for better control
8. Makita 1912B
With their 1912B, Makita gives us one of the best planers around for professional level framing jobs. It’s powerful, easy to use, and one of the best thickness planers. It’s a little wider than most handheld framers at 4 ?” and it planes 1/16 inch deep in a single pass. This tool is balanced well and has a handle and a front grip to give you a little more control when you’re using it. The 2-blade cutter head comes equipped with high-speed steel planer blades to kick the performance up a notch. There’s a V-groove on the side for chamfer cutting, too. And guess what else? This one even comes with a lock-on button so you can get continuous operation for long jobs without having to pull the trigger.
- Powerful 7.5 AMP motor for improved performance
- Two-blade cutter head with 16,000 RPM delivers smooth finish and fast stock removal
- Lock-on button for continuous operation
- V-groove on front shoe for easy chamfer cutting
- Precision machined aluminum base for planing accuracy
9. Bosch Bare-Tool Cordless
There is one huge reason this best planer from Bosch is our top pick for best portable planer: it’s cordless. How much more portable can you get? One of the best perks of using a cordless planer is you’ll never have to worry about running out of cord when you’re in the middle of a pass. There are a lot of other great things about this planer, too. For one, it features Woodrazor micrograin carbide blades for top-notch performance. They’ll even stand up to nail and staples. The edge fence guide can be mounted on either side of the tool so your work will be consistent. You can easily control the depth from 0 to 1/16 inch without needing to zero the tool. As for safety, this planer has an ambidextrous lock-off button.
- Optimized Performance: Fast cutting speed and long battery run time optimized for main planing applications
- Electronically Counterbalanced Single-Blade Design System Positions Blade at Ideal Cutting Angle: Reduces drag, faster operation and smooth cutting
- Chip-Ejection Switch: Directs shavings left or right …
8. Powertec PL 1251
- Power Source: Electric
- Motor: 15 A
- Size: 12 1/2″
- Blades: No
- Weight: 63.6 lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year
Looking for a benchtop wood planer for sale that will fit in your budget? Powertec has a great one with the PL 1251. It’s ideal for light to medium projects and delivers smooth, precise results with a max depth of 3/32 inch. This 15 amp motor delivers about 19,000 cuts per minute which will knock out your smaller projects pretty fast. For a desktop tool, this is pretty lightweight but it comes equipped with a handle to make it easier to move. Something unique about this planer is the 4-column design. It not only makes maintenance a little easier, but it also gives the tool a lot of structural support which reduces any vibration or movement. And get this: after a few small adjustments, it’s ready to go right out of the box.
Check out more Best Wood Planers in 2021
How to Choose the Best Wood Planers
A wood thickness planer can make short work of a lot of projects. It’s a tool that we recommend all hobbyists have in their workshop. To help you find the best wood planers, we did a lot of research to find you some of the best and top-selling products. Think beyond Grizzly wood planers with our best of list. Let’s look at some of the features you need to know before you start shopping. Keep in mind safety comes first. Be a hero and wear safety glasses.
Most of our picks are corded and require an outlet for use. While you will have to think about your workspace layout, you don’t need to worry about power supply. (Don’t worry, we covered portable planer reviews, too.)
The corded planers are all rated in amps. Basically, the more amps, the more power. For example, handheld planers will have less amps than larger tabletop ones or portable table saws. Cordless planers are a little different, they’re rated in volts.
This refers to the maximum width that the planer can cut. Most handheld planers are roughly 3 ½“ or so wide. That said, there are a few that are larger. Table top planers are much larger, greater than 12” wide!
Some of the common accessories you’ll find with these planers are dust or chip bags, wrenches, guides, and fences. There are a few that even come with high-quality blades. Some come fully loaded while some don’t come with anything.
This is especially important when you’re talking about a handheld planer because you need to make sure you can control it. We tried to find a balance between weight and power and feel that we did a pretty good job.
We don’t need to tell you how important a good warranty is, especially with tools like this that have a lot of moving parts. Look at you warrant carefully so you know what’s covered and what isn’t.